Thursday, July 12, 2012

Garden Collections

I guess I was born with collecting in my blood.  Don't get me wrong, I swear I'm not a hoarder.  I come by it  naturally. My grandpa who was my dad's dad started a business collecting when he was just a mere boy.  It was later run by my dad.  My mom is a bit of a collector as well.

In the garden my biggest collection by far is plants.  I'm always on the hunt for something I don't have.  You won't find large drifts in my garden.  I'm one of those gardeners who plant in drifts of one.

Another thing I love collecting is old watering cans.  I actually find them quite useful.  Some have their roses and work well to water seedlings and some have lost them.  These work well to water containers or newly planted perennials.  I like to imagine how many gardeners used these before me.

I also collect things that catch my eye.  Many times I have no idea where or how I will use these things.  Again most of it is old stuff.

It's a good thing I have the Potting Shed to house all these things that that are waiting to be repurposed or find their spot in my gardens.




I have the watering cans scattered throughout the garden ready to be used at any time.



7 comments:

  1. You are an enabler Michelle! I only have two watering cans...one at each rain barrel. Occasionally I find a toad or frog in one! I certainly could use more! I've been filling old plastic cat litter containers with water and moving them about in the wheel barrow! I don't have easy access to water in many parts of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Marie. I sometimes carry one in each hand. Some come from my dad and some from my father-in-law. Others from flea markets.

      Delete
  2. Really love those watering cans Michelle! Some of them look enormous. Great post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are actually all 10 qts. except one which is smaller.

      Delete
  3. When you say you collect watering cans I guess you're not kidding! What a great idea to leave them filled all round the garden-decorative and functional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love how you are displaying "this" collection -- simply artful, Michelle. -- Cindy H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a collector of old watering cans! Love yours! Seeing your photos makes me want to get on Ebay and look for more.

    ReplyDelete