Monday, July 16, 2012

Bloom Day - July 2012


Welcome to my mid-July garden and Bloom Day - July 2012 hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens  Today is my birthday.  I love having a mid-summer birthday.  It seems like the garden is just hitting it's stride for my special day.  This year is a bit of an exception as we are in a severe drought.  I never water this early and I actually don't water much at all.  I've been dragging hoses and sprinklers around now for a couple of weeks as things began to get crispy.  Hail three times earlier in the season didn't help.  The hostas are pretty tacky.  Amazingly I do have blooms and from a distance things don't look too bad.



Clematis 'Arabella' scrambles through this raised bed.  She is a prolific bloomer.

After a short rest, the roses have started blooming again.  I only grow non-fussy roses like this 'Morden Sunrise'
Echinops ritro backed up by salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki'

Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherry Brandy' that has reseeded.
              

Clematis 'Blue Belle' is a long and prolific bloomer.
The first of the hibiscus is blooming.
                         
Asclepias tuberosa
                                                                                              


9 comments:

  1. Lovely Birthday photos - in the evening light I think? I've never seen Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherry Brandy' before. I like it! Blue Belle is a wonderful clematis that I like even better than the more usual Polish Spirit. And of course Arabella should be in every garden! I love that you grow it as a scrambler.
    I hope you get to share your special day with your young gardener! Rain would be a great gift, wouldn't it? (Minus the hail!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I just spent a week with my daughter and granddaughter. It was a great birthday gift.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Michelle! Watering seems to be the July bloom day theme. Your efforts seem to be paying off. Cherry Brandy is an annual for me-at least it was last year. I really like the color so perhaps I'll give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry Brandy actually reseeded in several spots for me. I think the color is a bit off from what it was last year.

      Delete
  3. Indeed, one would never know your gardens were threatened with drought, Michelle -- Things look lovely and fresh as always -- Your blogging efforts are wonderful so we get to have a close-up of your gardens! Thanks for posting. - Cindy H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I posted selected plants that look good. Forget the astibles or some of the other crispies.

      Delete
  4. Lovely blooms...I just love your deep blue Echinops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle,

    Is that Lilium 'Gold Band'? I can almost smell its fragrance in your pic. Beautiful photographs! Oh and happy belated birthday wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I'm not sure on the name as I don't see it on my spreadsheet. Sometimes my record keeping leaves something to be desired.

      Delete