Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Potting Shed



"In the potting shed, our hearts, the pleasures of home, and the glories of the garden merge. Its practical character eases our garden labors. Its romantic nature enriches our lives. Here is peace, and beauty, and a sense of purpose."
- Linda Joan Smith

These days the potting shed is the heart of my gardens. What was once a dilapidated farm building, has become an important part of my gardening experience.

I started gardening 15 years ago and as my first garden started evolving, I couldn't help focusing on this sad building that happened to be the backdrop of my new patio garden. Instead of trying to hide it, I decided to embrace it. With a little loving care I've brought it to its now charming and functional state.

This old building houses all the tools, accouterments, seeds and supplies necessary to maintain a large country garden. It's not only functional though, it brings much enjoyment to the gardener. Tea parties with my granddaughter, arranging cut flowers and seeking shelter during a summer rain shower are all activities that take place within its humble walls.

Arranging the flowers that I grow has become an enjoyable part of gardening for me. From more formal arrangements for my church to casual arrangements to enjoy on the kitchen table, at the office or to give to friends. Women always love to get flowers!



As you can see I like old things.  This old table makes a perfect potting table.

I love this chandelier that my dad found at a garage sale.  I get some of my best treasures for the garden and the potting shed from him.
Tea time!

The potting shed has 11 windows.  9 small ones and this larger one on the east side.


"Step into the potting shed. The air is warm and smells of earth. Terra-cotta pots tower in the corner like soup bowls on a kitchen shelf, hand tools hang in rows, bins of soil and peat moss beckon. And there are the seeds--in packets, in jars, in plain envelopes. The sprouting of seeds is the first job of the potting shed, but it is the place where gardeners grow, too."
Linda Joan Smith










5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and functional space you've created, Michelle! I love the unexpected touch of the chandelier.

    Welcome to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo!!!!! Wonderful blog Michelle. I adore your potting shed. It reflects your love of beautiful surroundings and your creative nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see all the photos of your splendid gardens you will do doubt be posting here ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, you all have inspired me with your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thrilled to see your new blog! I feel honored to have watched the potting shed in the making over time. As a fellow Nana with "grandgardeners" I hope to see some of your ideas posted here.

    ReplyDelete