Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bloom Day August 15, 2012

At this time of the year I have lots of annuals blooming.  I actually use very few bedding plants.  Most are grown from seed or overwintered as cuttings.  I like the taller plants you get when growing from seeds compared to purchased bedding plants.  


Celosia 'Pink Parfait'

I grew these zinnias to use at my son's wedding.  Their color is guava.
  
Red salvia and red zinnias in the red bed.

Clematis 'Duchess of Albany'


I just love 'Pretty Much Picasso'

One annual I buy each year is salvia 'Queen Victoria Blue'  here it mingles with blue oat grass and hosta 'Sum & Substance'

Clematis 'Arabella' hasn't stopped blooming since spring.

Euphorbia marginata


Lots of lamium.

Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy

Hydrangea 'Limelight'
Salvia 'Black and Blue' along with a small celosia.
Lot of zinnias in the garden. I thought this basket of veggies and flowers from the Potager looked so pretty.


11 comments:

  1. So beautiful. I love those celosia 'Pink Parfait'! so gorgeous. How tall do they get? Love the salvia/oatgrass combination and I'm jealos of your 'Pretty Much Picasso'. I just have never had success with that one here. I get these terrible caterpillars that ruin all my petunias/callibrachoa/abutilon etc. this time of the year. Lovely post Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanne. Pink Parfait gets about 2 1/2 feet tall. I really like Celosia Purple Flamingo Feather also.

      Delete
  2. Happy Bloom Day Michelle! I have had some luck with Pretty Much Picasso but have never had one look as good as yours. This year I decided not to grow it.

    Are the Cherry Brandy Rudbekia hardy for you? Monique has had them come back but the trio I planted last year proved to be annuals.

    Everything looks great. I hate to think the season is starting to wind down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, the Rudbekia hirtas are generally reseeding annuals for me. I usually deadhead those kinds of plants right into the garden behind the plant and they usually show up the next year but probably new plants.

      Delete
  3. Your zinnias are a delight! Do you grow them from seed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I do! Thanks. They are very easy to direct sow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Michelle ! I must have Pink Parfait. Strategizing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to remember to send you some seed Kathy.

      Delete
  6. The photo of the basket overflowing with flowers and veggies is beautiful! Looks like it belongs in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the variety of colors vegetables come in. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful blooms! I love that Celosia at the beginning of your post...so cute!

    ReplyDelete